Sunday, September 5, 2010

Piazza di Michelangelo


Today, we hiked up to the Piazza Michelangelo. I went with Devon, Liz, Kelsey, Michelle, Lauren, Bruce, Sam, and Rudy. It was pretty much all uphill and it was very, very, hot. First, we went to the grocery store to buy food for the hike. We bought tomatoes, basil, bread, cheese, olive oil, salami, and red wine. Once we hiked up to the top, we sat down and enjoyed the amazing, breathtaking view. Then we all ate our delicious lunch. I've found out that when in Italy, all you need to have a good time is an amazing view, flavorful food, great friends, and some deep conversation. There is no need to rush anything. I plan on doing things like this a lot more. Today I also realized how close my apartment is to the Ponte Vecchio. If you walk right from my apartment you will hit the Duomo, and if you go left, you will hit the Ponte Vecchio. I am so excited to sit on the bridge and write, with the water as my inspiration. I think that's why I am so excited to go to the coast, because anything by water makes me happy. Italians culture is extremely relaxed, but I have found 2 exceptions- the grocery store, and driving. At the grocery store, they ring you up so fast! And they make you bag your own groceries, while they are moving on to ring up the next person. It is pretty stressful! Drivers here are insane! The cars get sooo close to the pedestrians! They seem to be in such a rush. They don't pay attention to the lane lines. They just drive right in the middle at high speed. No one in their right mind would even think about crossing the street without looking the entire way across. I swear the cars and vespas come flying around the corner at of no where! Tomorrow is back to school. I am so tired from the hike, that I am sure I will pass out early tonight.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment